Connie’s Coronavirus Cooking Chronicles – Recipe 6 – Tartar Sauce
It took a bit of experimenting to get this tartar sauce recipe the way I like it, but I finally came up with a recipe that I love! It is sweet due to the sweet relish but also tangy due to the lemon juice. Feel free to add some salt too if you would like. This tartar sauce recipe is perfect for homemade crab cakes, fish and chips, and other seafood dishes. The recipe for crab cakes is here.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp pepper
- 6 tbsp sweet relish
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tbsp minced shallot (use 2 tbsp for a stronger onion flavor) (red onions will also work, try 1 tbsp first and increase if desired)
- salt, to taste (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together. You have tartar sauce!
Connie’s Coronavirus Cooking Chronicles – Recipe 5 – Crab Cakes
Crab cakes are usually pretty expensive at restaurants. However, did you know that they are actually very easy to make and cost just a fraction of the price if you make them at home?
For my husband’s birthday, I made him a crab cake birthday cake (pictured above) since he isn’t a fan of regular cake. Instead of frosting, we had homemade tartar sauce with it. My recipe for crab cakes is below and the tartar sauce recipe is here.
- 1 lb crab meat
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (or 1.5 tbsp dried parsley, with 1 tsp water stirred into the mixture before adding panko)
- 1/2 cup panko (gluten free panko also works, if you need it to be gluten free)
- olive oil
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Add the mayo, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Old bay, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Add the celery and parsley and mix.
- Add the panko and gently mix until compbined.
- Add the crab meat and gently fold until combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Shape into 2.5″ patties (or larger, if you want).
- Heat a skillet with a drizzle of oil on medium heat and fry the patties on both sides until cooked through.
- Serve with homemade tartar sauce! Recipe is here.
You must be logged in to post a comment.